FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE BENEFITS OF CONSUMING MY PLACENTA?
- Help lessening the risk of Postpartum Mood Disorder (PMD), baby blues.
- Replenish iron and aid anemia from blood loss after childbirth.
- Lending you a consistent flow of Oxytocin long after your birth euphoria ends.
- Help establish early human milk supply.
- Stabilize you ever changing hormones post birth.
- Assist natural pain relief after childbirth.
CAN I USE MY PLACENTA IF I HAVE GROUP B STREP OR OTHER INFECTIONS?
Yes you can. Although, I would highly recommend doing the Basic Heated Method. This is to make sure that the bacteria is killed before dehydrating.
IS IT SAFE TO USE MY PLACENTA IF I HAD A MEDICATED/CAESAREAN BIRTH?
Yes it is. As long as the placenta is not sent to Pathology, and store in ice immediately after birth. A list of all the medication used during pregnancy and labor is requested to determine if it's safe to use your placenta to encapsulate or other placenta methods.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS IN INGEST PLACENTA CAPSULES?
Results is not guarantee with ingesting placenta capsules or placenta remedies. Since the placenta is only uniquely to birth mother and baby, the quality and potency of the placenta is yours alone. It is highly recommend that you follow the care instructions given by me or other professional placenta encapsulation. By storing your placenta capsules properly, not taking them while sick, and not taking over the recommended dose will reduce your chances of experiencing any side effect. It is rare if any side effect occurs as long as instructions are carefully followed.
The possible side effects are:
- Mild headaches - lower your dosage of placenta capsules,
- Stomach cramping or abdominal pain – possibly the result of bacteria growth due to improper storage of capsules. Stop taking the capsules.
- Stomach cramping for those also taking iron supplements - do not take iron supplements and placenta capsules at the same time. The placenta is rich with iron.
- PUPPPs rash returning after 3 days of consuming capsules - discontinue taking the capsules.
- Pelvic girdle pain (PGP) sufferers feel less relief - it is to believe this is due to the high level of relaxing hormone in the placenta, which is the cause of PGP). Discontinue taking the capsules.
- Unexplained lack of milk production. - Lower the dosage of placenta capsules.
- Emotional symptoms, stress, anxiety, depression. - stop taking placenta capsules, placenta may have high levels of hormones.
HOW BIG ARE THE CAPSULES?
Size ‘0’ capsules when preparing placenta pills. These measure roughly 2cm in length and 0.7cm in width.
HOW MANY CAPSULES WILL MY PLACENTA MAKE?
Placentas make between 90-200 capsules depending on the type of method you choose and the size of your placenta.
HOW LONG SHOULD I TAKE MY PLACENTA CAPSULES FOR?
You can take your placenta capsules for as long as you feel you need them.
CAN MY FAMILY MEMBERS TAKE MY PLACENTA CAPSULES TOO?
It is not recommend anyone consumes placenta capsules other than the mother who made the placenta. It is however at the mothers and families discretion if they chose to share placenta remedies with one another.
WHAT IF I GIVE BIRTH PREMATURELY?
Premature births are often associated with problems in pregnancy. As long as your placenta is examined and cleared from any type of abnormality after birth, your placenta is suitable for consumption.
I WANT TO DONATE MY BABY’S CORD BLOOD. WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HAVE MY PLACENTA MADE INTO CAPSULES?
Yes, you can do both. Bring two separate containers with them to hospital and ensure their midwife or doctor knows you are planning on both consuming your placenta and banking cord blood. The placenta should be put into the placenta container after birth and stored safely in the cooler bag. The umbilical cord should be stored in a separate container awaiting collection from the company of choice.
ARE THERE ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHEN IT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE TO USE THE PLACENTA FOR ENCAPSULATION OR OTHER PLACENTA REMEDIES?
Yes, if your placenta has been sent to pathology in hospital for any reason, it is not safe consume your placenta because it may have been contaminated while in the pathology department. You can request the hospital to take just a small piece of your placenta for examination in this instance.
We also do not recommend using your placenta for encapsulation if your placenta has not been stored properly after birth.
If you developed a fever during labor, is it an indication of an infection. Encapsulation is not safe, but can do other services to honor your placenta. Contact me for more information.
HOW DO I STORE MY PLACENTA SAFELY AFTER BIRTH?
- Your placenta should be put into a clean and sterile, leak proof container immediately after cord cutting and stored in a cooler bag.
- Placenta must be chilled with ice in a cooler or placed inside a Refrigerator within 4 hours after birth until it is ready to encapsulate.
- Placenta can last up to 6 months in a deep freezer for it to be safe to ingest.
- Placenta can last up to 3 days in a Refrigerator without being frozen.
- Placenta should be thawed thoroughly in the fridge only for 24-36 hours before encapsulating or making any other remedy.
- You should arrange for your placenta to be put into a refrigerator as soon as possible after birth.
AS SOON AS I HAVE GIVEN BIRTH CAN I KEEP MY PLACENTA AND DECIDE TO HAVE IT ENCAPSULATED LATER?
Yes, of course, however nature has intended for your placenta to be consumed as soon as possible after birth, so we believe ‘the sooner the better’. Please read the storage guidelines above. Keep your placenta below 40 degrees Fahrenheit after birth using ice packs and cooler bag for no longer than 8 hours and transfer the placenta to a safe refrigerator as soon as possible.
WHAT OTHER INGREDIENTS ARE IN THE PLACENTA CAPSULES AND ARE THEY SUITABLE FOR ME AS I’M A VEGETARIAN?
I advise birth givers to use empty vegetable cellulose capsules only. When preparing Basic Heated Method style capsules, the placenta is only steamed with water with no additives.
HOW CAN TAKING PLACENTA CAPSULES BOOST MY MILK SUPPLY OR HELP KEEP THE ‘BABY BLUES’ AT BAY?
It is suggested to take 1-3 capsules a day for as long as needed after birth. In other mother’s experience, placenta capsules have supported many women through many months of successful breastfeeding. In some cases some mothers have still struggled with their breast milk supply however there were other problems involved that may have caused the reduced milk supply. I cannot guarantee any effects from placenta capsules on breastfeeding however many women have noticed their milk ‘comes in’ much quicker than expected and remains consistent without problems for many weeks, months or even years post-birth.
The baby blues often hits mothers between days 3-5 after birth. It is recommend you consume your placenta as soon as possible to prevent the hormone imbalance that causes ‘baby blues’ which may develop into post-natal depression.
DO THE CAPSULES SMELL OR TASTE OF ANYTHING?
Many mothers describe placenta capsules to have an ‘earthy’ smell. Placenta capsules may have a slight taste of meat however if swallowed quickly you will not notice any taste or smell. If you find your capsules begin to smell or taste unusually bad I recommend you to stop taking your capsules and contact me and I can advise you on storage guidelines and how to proceed.